This course focuses on the specific needs and goals of bench jewelers who use gravers and related tools for stone setting and engraving. It provides jewelers with refined and effective skills that increase the business rewards and creative satisfaction of custom jewelry work. This fast-paced class is for jewelers who love bench work and seek personal growth by studying with a top instructor.
- Correct setup of GRS equipment
- Operation of common classroom tools
- Tool sharpening, theory, and geometry
- Surface preparation for engraving or stone setting
- Artwork layout and design principles
- Design transfer techniques
- Proper use of workholding fixtures and devices
- Business practices and pricing work (varies by instructor)
- Shading techniques and background treatments
- Effective use of a micromotor
- Block and script letter engraving
- Basic prong, flush, bead, and channel setting techniques using round stones
- Basics of metal inlay
Steel and brass practice plates
Brass stone plates
Brass practice rings
Brass channel ring
Brass pavé ring
4 prong pinwheel practice ring for round stones
We reserve your seat upon receipt of course deposit. To transfer or cancel your reservation, notify GRS at least 30 days before the class start date to transfer deposit or receive a refund, less $50. Deposits are not transferrable or refundable less than 30 days before the course start date. If you have any questions about this information, please do not hesitate to call us! We would be glad to help you. Call 800-835-3519, Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 5 PM.
Please note: Course information subject to change without notice. Example images may not show exact techniques, methods, designs, etc., taught or demonstrated in course.
Build my bench.
New to engraving or stonesetting? Use our custom tool to discover more about the hand engraving tools you’ll be using in your new craft.Get started