Learn basic hand engraving skills quickly in a friendly and organized surrounding. Using GRS equipment, students study and execute fundamental engraving cuts on a variety of metals. This curriculum includes a custom series of training plates precisely laser-marked with designs that speed learning and overcome the initial artwork challenge. This course also provides the unique opportunity to finish the week engraving on an actual Henry .22 lever-action receiver cover. Guided by FEGA Master Engraver Rex Pedersen, students learn to engrave a firearm part without purchasing the gun first. The Henry cover features a laser-marked period design reminiscent of turn-of-the-century rifles. Once engraved, the cover can be installed on a Henry .22 rifle of your own.
- Correct setup of GRS equipment
- Operation of common classroom tools
- Tool sharpening, theory, and geometry
- Surface preparation for engraving
- Artwork layout and design principles
- Design transfer techniques
- Proper use of workholding fixtures and devices
- Business practices and pricing work (varies by instructor)
- Design and layout of scrolls and borders
- Effective use of a rotary handpiece
- Block and script letter engraving
- Basics of metal inlay
- Practical experience engraving a Henry .22 receiver cover
Steel & Brass Practice plates, steel practice grip cap, Henry .22 receiver cover
We reserve your seat upon receipt of course deposit. To transfer or cancel your reservation, notify GRS at least 30 days before the class start date to transfer deposit or receive a refund, less $50. Deposits are not transferrable or refundable less than 30 days before the course start date. If you have any questions about this information, please do not hesitate to call us! We would be glad to help you. Call 800-835-3519, Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 5 PM.
Please note: Course information subject to change without notice. Example images may not show exact techniques, methods, designs, etc., taught or demonstrated in course.
Build my bench.
New to engraving or stonesetting? Use our custom tool to discover more about the hand engraving tools you’ll be using in your new craft.Get started