Learn basic bright cut hand engraving skills in a friendly and organized environment. Using GRS equipment, students study and execute scrolls, flowers, and leaves that form the timeless style of bright cut engraving. The essential techniques used in trophy belt buckles, saddle and tack trim, bits and spurs, and Western jewelry are covered. Jewelers can apply the same bright cutting techniques to embellish rings and other fine jewelry. Other artists have also taken the skills from this class and have adapted them for use on knives and other projects.
- Correct setup of GRS equipment
- Operation of common classroom tools
- Tool sharpening, theory, and geometry
- Surface preparation for engraving
- Artwork layout and design principles
- Design transfer techniques
- Proper use of workholding fixtures and devices
- Business practices and pricing work (varies by instructor)
- Executing wriggle cuts and bright cuts
- Engraving flowers and leaves
- Engraving scrolls and borders
- Planning for curved surfaces
- Shading techniques
- Engraving and forming a Copper, cuff style bracelet
Copper practice plates, copper cuff-style bracelet
We reserve your seat upon receipt of course deposit. To transfer or cancel your reservation, notify GRS at least 30 days before the class start date to transfer deposit or receive a refund, less $50. Deposits are not transferrable or refundable less than 30 days before the course start date. If you have any questions about this information, please do not hesitate to call us! We would be glad to help you. Call 800-835-3519, Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 5 PM.
Please note: Course information subject to change without notice. Example images may not show exact techniques, methods, designs, etc., taught or demonstrated in course.
Build my bench.
New to engraving or stonesetting? Use our custom tool to discover more about the hand engraving tools you’ll be using in your new craft.Get started