Are you intimidated by shading scrolls or other subjects in your engraving? Are you unsure about how many shade lines you should use? Or which direction they should go? This class presents the solutions to these questions by leading students through the complexities of Artistic Shading. Students will gain the confidence to shade their scrollwork and many other designs they may use in their engraving. Proper shading can bring an engraving to life and set your work apart.
- Shade line placement and theory
- Importance of cross-contour lines
- Enhance contrast to create depth in your engraving
- Proper image transfer to metal
- Create layers in your work and shade them accordingly
- Create a value scale and apply it to your engraving
- Use a combination of tapered lines, dots/dashes, and cross-hatching to create value in your work
- Fundamentals (how’s and why’s) of scroll/leaf shading
- Tips on graver geometry, machine settings, and handpiece selection to improve your shading
Practice plates and Spyderco Folding Knife
Completion of a GRS Basic Course or instructor approval is required, as well as an understanding of proper tool sharpening and basic engraving techniques.
We reserve your seat upon receipt of course deposit. To transfer or cancel your reservation, notify GRS at least 30 days before the class start date to transfer deposit or receive a refund, less $50. Deposits are not transferrable or refundable less than 30 days before the course start date. If you have any questions about this information, please do not hesitate to call us! We would be glad to help you. Call 800-835-3519, Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 5 PM.
Please note: Course information subject to change without notice. Example images may not show exact techniques, methods, designs, etc., taught or demonstrated in course.
Build my bench.
New to engraving or stonesetting? Use our custom tool to discover more about the hand engraving tools you’ll be using in your new craft.Get started