This basic course will focus on the real-world engraving of a jeweler. Using GRS equipment, students study and execute fundamental engraving cuts on a variety of metals. This curriculum includes a special series of training plates precisely laser‑marked with designs that naturally build confidence and accuracy. This system speeds learning and overcomes the initial artwork challenge. Each class is built around the individual instructor’s professional experience to give every attendee personal access to a wealth of practical knowledge. This course provides a foundation for a great future in jewelry engraving.
- Operation of common classroom tools
- Tool sharpening, theory, and geometry
- Tool shaping and bench grinder operation
- Surface preparation for engraving
- Artwork layout and design principles
- Design transfer techniques
- Line cutting techniques
- Millgrain decoration
- Proper use of workholding fixtures and devices
- Business practices and pricing work (varies by instructor)
- Engraving scrolls, borders, letters, and numbers
- Shading techniques and background treatment
- Basics of metal inlay (if time allows)
- Fundamentals of tool sharpening
Please note: Course information subject to change without notice. Example images may not show exact techniques, methods, designs, etc., taught or demonstrated in course.
Build my bench.
New to engraving or stonesetting? Use our custom tool to discover more about the hand engraving tools you’ll be using in your new craft.Get started