Expand your skills and learn how to carve wax for casting. Liam Powers will instruct students in advanced wax carving skills that will expand the possibilities of their designs. Students will learn everything they need to know to carve rings suitable for casting and setting, from design transfer to finishing every surface. Not only will the wax carving techniques enable more complex shapes and movement in their jewelry, but the unique stone setting techniques will teach them to think outside the confines of traditional norms. This class will focus on design for surface embellishment and engraving.
• Brief lesson on design for rings that can be applied to a wax ring blank
• How to transfer design on tracing paper to wax ring blank
• Learn how to strategically carve a symmetrical ring design
• Learn various measuring, cutting and carving techniques with specific tools
• How to remove excess wax from the underside of ring and add a stylized cover for that space
• How to use the wax pen to create a seat for the center stone on the wax model before casting
• How to clean, prep, and create a unique center stone setting using the seat that was created on the wax model
• How to properly finish/texturize every surface of the finished ring
Basic Stone Setting
Please note: Course information subject to change without notice. Example images may not show exact techniques, methods, designs, etc., taught or demonstrated in course.
We reserve your seat upon receipt of course deposit. To transfer or cancel your reservation, notify GRS at least 30 days before the class start date to transfer deposit or receive a refund, less $50. Deposits are not transferrable or refundable less than 30 days before the course start date. If you have any questions about this information, please do not hesitate to call us! We would be glad to help you. Call 800-835-3519, Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 5 PM.
Build my bench.
New to engraving or stonesetting? Use our custom tool to discover more about the hand engraving tools you’ll be using in your new craft.Get started