Expand your skills and learn how to carve wax for casting. Liam Powers will instruct students in advanced wax carving skills that will expand the possibilities of their designs. Students will learn everything they need to know to carve rings suitable for casting and engraving, from design transfer to finishing every surface. These techniques will enable more complex shapes and movement in their jewelry. This class will focus on design for surface embellishment and engraving.
• Brief lesson on design for rings that can be applied to a wax ring blank.
• How to transfer design on tracing paper to wax ring blank.
• Learn how to strategically carve a symmetrical ring design
• Learn various measuring, cutting and carving techniques with specific tools.
• How to remove excess wax from the underside of ring and add a stylized cover for that space.
• How to layout geometric pattern or freehand pattern to be bright cut on surface of cast ring.
• How to execute said patterning for embellishment on surface of ring.
• How to properly finish/texturize every surface of the finished ring.
Basic Engraving or equivalent. Proper graver sharpening experience with 105, 120, and flats. Microscope familiarity is recommended.
Please note: Course information subject to change without notice. Example images may not show exact techniques, methods, designs, etc., taught or demonstrated in course.
We reserve your seat upon receipt of course deposit. To transfer or cancel your reservation, notify GRS at least 30 days before the class start date to transfer deposit or receive a refund, less $50. Deposits are not transferrable or refundable less than 30 days before the course start date. If you have any questions about this information, please do not hesitate to call us! We would be glad to help you. Call 800-835-3519, Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 5 PM.
Build my bench.
New to engraving or stonesetting? Use our custom tool to discover more about the hand engraving tools you’ll be using in your new craft.Get started