This course is designed to help developing engravers overcome the hurdles of a complete firearm engraving project. FEGA Master Engraver Rex Pedersen leads the class through the steps of engraving from start to finish. This exciting hands-on course gives students experience and the confidence to work on firearm projects in the future.
- Disassembly of the firearm
- Refining basic engraving skills
- Intermediate scroll design and execution
- Border design and execution
- Wire border inlay
- Proper metal preparation
- Explanation of various workholding fixtures
- Achieving relief backgrounds
- Engraving the firearm with choice of prepared patterns or student’s own design
- Proper metal finishing
- Explanation of final metal finishes
- Assembly of the firearm
1911 .45 Pistol
Completion of a GRS Basic Metal Engraving course or instructor approval is required, as well as an understanding of proper tool sharpening and basic engraving techniques.
The legal purchase and transport to class of the specified model is required. Contact your GRS sales representative for specific model.
Please note: Course information subject to change without notice. Example images may not show exact techniques, methods, designs, etc., taught or demonstrated in course.
Build my bench.
New to engraving or stonesetting? Use our custom tool to discover more about the hand engraving tools you’ll be using in your new craft.Get started