If you are gaining skill in engraving but are still intimidated by creating your own designs, then this is the course for you. This course focuses primarily on the fundamentals of scroll design and shading. With instructor guidance, students will learn how to dissect complex scroll designs into more manageable, easy-to-understand parts. Students will also learn about common scroll design mistakes and how to avoid them. Once the foundation is set, students will be encouraged to develop their own scroll designs to use in an engraving project they can truly call their own.
- Proper scroll design and shading techniques
- Breakdown and study other engravers work to understand the foundation for proper scroll design
- Design, layout, and transfer solutions
- Create a balanced design and composition
- Create depth and enhance contrast
- Learn about background removal and treatments
- Scroll anatomy and terminology
- Using intertwined and overlapped scrolls
- Leaf shapes, leaf folds, flowers and borders
- Proper finish
Completion of a GRS Basic Metal Engraving course or instructor approval is required, as well as an understanding of proper tool sharpening and basic engraving techniques.
Please note: Course information subject to change without notice. Example images may not show exact techniques, methods, designs, etc., taught or demonstrated in course.
We reserve your seat upon receipt of course deposit. To transfer or cancel your reservation, notify GRS at least 30 days before the class start date to transfer deposit or receive a refund, less $50. Deposits are not transferrable or refundable less than 30 days before the course start date. If you have any questions about this information, please do not hesitate to call us! We would be glad to help you. Call 800-835-3519, Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 5 PM.
Build my bench.
New to engraving or stonesetting? Use our custom tool to discover more about the hand engraving tools you’ll be using in your new craft.Get started