This course focuses on the specific needs and goals of bench jewelers who use gravers and related tools for both stone setting and engraving. It provides jewelers with refined and effective skills that increase the business rewards and creative satisfaction of custom jewelry work. This fast-paced class is for jewelers who love bench work and seek personal growth by studying with a top instructor.
- Correct setup of GRS equipment
- Operation of common classroom tools
- Tool sharpening, theory, and geometry
- Tool shaping and bench grinder operation
- Surface preparation for engraving or stone setting
- Artwork layout and design principles
- Design transfer techniques
- Line cutting techniques
- Proper use of workholding fixtures and devices
- Business practices and pricing work (varies by instructor)
- Shading techniques and background treatments
- Effective use of a rotary handpiece
- Block and script letter engraving
- Basic prong, flush, bead, and channel setting techniques using round stones
- Basics of gold inlay
Experience as a bench jeweler is required. Contact GRS for details.
Please note: Course information subject to change without notice. Example images may not show exact techniques, methods, designs, etc., taught or demonstrated in course.
Build my bench.
New to engraving or stonesetting? Use our custom tool to discover more about the hand engraving tools you’ll be using in your new craft.Get started