Learn basic hand engraving skills quickly in a friendly and organized surrounding. Using GRS equipment, students study and execute fundamental engraving cuts on a variety of metals. This curriculum includes a special series of training plates precisely laser‑marked with designs that speeds learning and overcomes the initial artwork challenge. Each class is built around the individual instructor’s professional experience to give every attendee personal access to a wealth of practical knowledge. This course provides a foundation for other GRS courses.
- Correct setup of GRS equipment
- Operation of common classroom tools
- Tool sharpening, theory, and geometry
- Surface preparation for engraving or stone setting
- Artwork layout and design principles
- Design transfer techniques
- Line cutting techniques
- Proper use of workholding fixtures and devices
- Business practices and pricing work (varies by instructor)
- Engraving scrolls, borders, letters, and numbers
- Shading techniques and background treatment
- Basics of metal inlay
- Fundamentals of tool sharpening
Please note: Course information subject to change without notice. Example images may not show exact techniques, methods, designs, etc., taught or demonstrated in course.
We reserve your seat upon receipt of course deposit. To transfer or cancel your reservation, notify GRS at least 30 days before the class start date to transfer deposit or receive a refund, less $50. Deposits are not transferrable or refundable less than 30 days before the course start date. If you have any questions about this information, please do not hesitate to call us! We would be glad to help you. Call 800-835-3519, Monday – Friday, 8 AM – 5 PM.
Build my bench.
New to engraving or stonesetting? Use our custom tool to discover more about the hand engraving tools you’ll be using in your new craft.Get started